Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Zen to Me

I read this article by Hope Davis describing her husband as the "Zen Master" and it resonated with me.

The symbol of Yin Yang represents me and my husband well. He's the fire and energy, while I'm the cool and calm. We're similar because we're both quite energetic Pitta types. I definitely look for balance in my life between work and home obligations, friends and family, physical and mental.

Patient. That's a popular word to describe me. I really believe in choosing my battles. There's enough stress in life that you don't have to create extra. I tease a number of people around me for being "drama queens." Is it really worth that much anger or anxiety? What is the worst that could happen? What is the best? Get upset about tragic injustices, not having to stand in the longer line.

By the way, I do get angry. Recently I had an all out shouting match with a painting contractor agent. She raised her voice at me and walked out of my house. I shouted, cursed and told her never to come back. I haven't been that loud and explosive in ages! Ironically, my husband was cool at that moment and said he had a back up contractor in line.

You'll break the worry habit the day you decide you can meet and master the worse that can happen to you.
- Arnold H. Glasow, author
I've been told my blog is too positive, but I think that's me. I am quite optimistic, but then it's probably because I'm actually a pessimist. I do know the worst can happen, but I will hope for the best. I'm always *expecting* the worst and so I'm terribly excited when it doesn't happen and am grateful for every moment.

You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
- German Proverb
If I can change a situation, I will try. If I can't change a person or a situation, then I believe I must make the changes I can -- starting with myself.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
– Plato, philosopher
This relates to the Hope Davis article. When you meet someone, they are not coming to you with empty hands, ready to embrace you. They are carrying baggage. You can either take it from them or else hand them your baggage.

Actually the baggage metaphor is quite important. I think as people get older, we learn we have to drop those extra bags and be able to swing our arms freely.

Recently, I was extremely irritated by someone who I felt was not fulfilling an obligation. I just learned today there was a technological problem that was prohibiting this person, who was doing what was expected all along! So, I'm grateful I didn't say or do anything too drastic under anger. Until you know the whole story, you can't get angry or judge someone.

Life is full of choices.. our personal results, including happiness, depends on those choices.

(Now, I know some of you are probably saying "Get that Oprah magazine out of her hands!!" :-)

2 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

The simplest truth is often hardest to accept. Great post and I'm not just saying that due to the Zen angle.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Zen!

Personally, I thought the Metamorphosis post was more interesting to write.. this is all common knowledge. Or maybe not.