Friday, June 16, 2006

On Being Five - Part 3

There was a notice on the classroom wall that it was career week. During the week, she had asked what we did, and to be honest, I'm not sure how to explain what I do in simplistic terms to anyone. "We work with computers."

Amidst the morning rush, Annika was saying something about computers. I asked her to wait, and in the meantime she ran to her father. “Daddy, I need to bring your laptop to school.” He waved her off.

We pulled up in front of the school and she said, “Mommy, I need to bring something from your work. I need a computer.”

I wasn’t going to give up my laptop to a five-year-old. I rummaged through my bag and found a business card, a floppy disk and a key chain with my company logo on there. She was so excited!

She walked in feeling so important holding the three items. I was happy for once that I hadn’t cleaned out my bag and I didn’t give up my laptop.

No comments: