Sunday, December 03, 2006

Haiku This!


So, among the many calls for submissions I receive, there was a recent one for haikus. Specifically, there should be haiku about wine (red and white).

The last haiku I wrote was in 4th grade:

Lonely boy and girl
on a rainy Saturday
Soon the sun comes out.

It was published in our 4th grade class magazine and I also provided illustration (a dismal looking boy and girl, peering through a window with their tears mixing with the raindrops).

Since then, I haven't written haiku, so I took some time to browse haiku books at Barnes & Noble. I remember haikus being about nature, trees, cherry blossoms and such. Those topics don't interest me, so I stayed away from the haiku. I was pleasantly surprised to find modern American haiku writers that took the Japanese style of 17 syllables and ran with it.

Here are some online samples.

Creative Haiku
Erotic Haiku
Ocean Haiku


Reading through these sites, I can see the seriousness of the art of haiku. I've been doing free verse for so long, it was hard to restrain myself. However, it was fun trying to force myself to think within certain guidelines. While poetry is all about selecting the right words, the syllable constraint made it tougher to choose the right word.

Here are my haikus. Even if they don't win and appear on wine labels, at least they made my site.

1. Red

So the Merlot turned
a pirouette, tossing
a bouquet in the air.


2. White

The Sauvignon Blanc
smiles and sparkles a bit
of summer in a glass.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have got to learn Haiku now. So is it true that that 5-7-5 rule doesn't have to be strictly adhered to?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. Check this link:
http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm#comego

I think I like writing haiku, but I don't think I like reading it. It's like someone giving you a shot of tequila when you want a tall margarita. You're getting a full dose of poetry in one gulp, rather than mixing it with other elements and letting it go down slowly.