Saturday, July 28, 2007

Angel in the Passenger Side

This may sound really absurd to people, but I really think that every time I get into a car, I have an "angel" watching over it. Ok, I'm Hindu and we don't really have angels.

However, I've been driving since I was 16 and have never had an accident, though a number of near misses. And, even when I had a flat tire years ago and was stranded on Route 295 at 10pm, a friendly girl and her friends stopped to help us. I really feel someone's looking out for me in the car.

But, this week has been unbelievably shaky for me and my guardian is working overtime.

Saturday night: we're returning home from dinner and were driving down a residential area. Suddenly, there was a deer in front of us, frozen in place. Normally they're running across, but this one was right in the middle of the road. Fortunately, my husband deftly swerved around the deer in time. Afterwards, he said a prayer, my daughter laughed thinking this was part of the fun and I was shaking and on the verge of tears, truly grateful.

Friday afternoon: Picked up my daughter and her friend from school. A woman was coming out of shopping center lot (on my left) to make a left turn. I was going straight and I could see this woman inching forward. I kept thinking she'll stop once she see me since there were some other cars making a right into the same driveway. She started moving forward at a good speed and I honked, and swerved into the opposite lane! Thankfully no cars. Her car was so close to my side window! I shouted "You bitch!" and then remembered I had 2 little ones in the back. I quickly said, "That witch! I can't believe it!" (Next question was how did I know she was a witch)

Saturday night: we're returning home from dinner and we stopped at a red light. When it turned green, a car from the opposite direction was making a left turn INTO the oncoming traffic. We just saw white lights right near our car! Fortunately, the man stopped in time but just long enough for my husband to shout obscenities to him (then I nudged him to watch his language!)

I can't believe where these near-misses are coming from. I'm a very good driver, by the way. I'm steady and consistent - allowing my passengers to relax and repose and enjoy the drive! But, sometimes things are out of your control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the near misses. I can only imagine what that must feel like.

I had one recently, last week, a lady pulled out from a parked spot in front of me with no warning while I was coming down the street. No indication she didn't even bother to look to see I completely swung the car onto the sidewalk on the opposite side.

It was really harrowing for me because I would have hit her head on to her side if I hadn't moved and I kept thinking what if there was a car to my left. I would have gotten hit from both ends.

She then promptly showed me the finger when I slammed on my brakes and honked at her. I couldn't resist I had to pull up ahead of her, block her to tell her that her life must be pathetic for her to not care about it but she could have killed me and I like my life. Stupid cow.