Wednesday, September 27, 2006

On Being Five: Dreams

"Do you know why I come into your bed?"

"Why?"

"Because I have bad dreams. Then, I come into your bed and I have good dreams."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And then I go back to my bed and take the good dreams with me. I turn my pillow over so I will have good dreams too."

*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I let her come to my bed if she has bad dreams. After a few minutes of warm cuddles, she becomes quite comfortable in my bed. Then, starts kicking, turning, sleeping horizontally, on top of my head, and any other twisted position she could conjure. Then, I pick her up and put her back in her bed. Then, we all fall asleep happily in separate rooms.

However, I loved how she came up with this analysis and explanation about her dreams.

It really is wonderful being five where you are balancing on two worlds. I think when kids are younger, they can't separate reality and fantasy. Five-year-olds will question fantasy, but they choose to accept it as reality. I think that's the charm we find in them - the wide-eyes and the easy laughter.

I've always thought 5 was the perfect age to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blogspot via your article @abcdlady. Very similar experience with my little one, especially the sleeping horizontal part. It's heartening to read a gentler but questioning take on life and the world. Good luck with your writing.

YK