Friday, June 30, 2006

On Being Five: Giving Back to Mommy

Last week I was really overwhelmed. I have a lot of stress at work and there are some personal issues going on. I was really sad, and sat on the deck for some quiet space.

Annika noticed. She came up and asked me "Why are you sad?"
I just shook my head.

She said, "Where's that smile?" in that tone that teachers must use.

I had to smile.


~*~*~*~

Today is my birthday and I told her that. I guess birthdays are important in general, but Mommy's Birthday is the best. Earlier in the week, she was jumping and hugging me because my birthday was coming.

Today she asked me if I could take her to Starbucks for hot chocolate after school. Normally, she goes with her daddy, but today she wanted to me. This would be our special treat.

I gave her a hug this morning. And, the only way I could think to describe it is the scene in "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas." At the end, the mean old Grinch's heart starts to pump and grow. It grows and becomes overwhelming that it pushes out of his chest. That's what I felt like hugging her this morning. My heart was expanding more than I knew it could.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to read your blog, as a Mom and a desi Mom in particular. Just wanted to let you know I stopped by and will check it out again!

Ashini said...

Thanks!! Please come by and I welcome suggestions for topics!